ID # increment issue

Submitted by sy24 on 2010-01-16

Love the tool but I have an encountered an issue where the id# for new bugs is not incremented correctly. It seems that if I add comments or update fields within the issue those are incrementing the issue id. Therefore when I go to create a new issue it is not the next number. For example I create a new issue with issue id #1, then i update some fields within that issue (comments, severity, etc...). When I go to create a brand new issue it is assigned id # 6. Where it should be 2. Any insight into why this is occurring? Once again, excellent product!

That's exactly as designed. Issue identifiers are guaranteed to be unique and in incrementing order, but it's nowhere said that they're incrementing by one. In fact issues, comments, attachments and changes share the same identifiers to make the technical implementation of incremental updates easier.

Regards,
Michał

Michael,

Thank you for the response. Is there any way that I can have a unique identifier for each bug that increments by one? Or do I need to create a new attribute for the bug where I manually enter an ID that I manually increment by 1 for each new issue? Reason being I plan on using the reporting feature and in the course of adding two issues with with comments/etc... I have two bugs on the report that show ID #1 and ID #5. Other testers would assume that there are 4 other bugs that have been identified if they look at the report.

Just looking to see if there are any options. Once again, excellent product!

Thank you Michael. One last question. Is there an option to expand the field length for text attributes? Is there a way I can configure the field to contain more text?

Thanks for your help. Thoroughly impressed with the tool!

At the moment all fields are limited to 80 characters for compatibility reasons but in version 1.0 the maximum length will be extended to 255 characters.

I'm glad to hear that you're impressed, thanks!

Regards,
Michał