Move issues to a folder through back-end

Submitted by nadirah on 2010-06-04

Following up to what tephyrnex did to move an issue into another folder (in the bugs forum):-

Does this mean that this is possible and that the changes made are permanent? I'm trying to move all the issues in 15 folders into one consolidated folder.

It seems that when I did this for about 5 issues, sometimes the issue would show up in the new folder, and then it would disappear again (meaning it would still be in its old folder). Does the caching mechanism pose the problems to making these changes permanent?

Thanks.

Nadirah

Right, I managed to move all the issues into one folder - now the problem starts with deleting the empty folders. WebIssues doesn't recognize that the folders are empty now, so I can't delete them. Any help with this?

Thanks a lot!

Nadirah

Thanks - have done that and everything seems to be working fine.

Just a question - right now I have close to ~1500 issues in one folder; would the number of issues in one folder affect the performance time or loading time of WebIssues? The issues will only increase with everyday use (maybe 30-40 issues in a day), so would I have any problems with the loading time in the future?

Thank you,
Nadirah

That depends not only on the number of issues but also their size (counting the number and length of attribute values, but not comments or other historical information), because generally all this information is loaded into memory the first time a folder is accessed (e.g. 500 bytes per issue times 2000 issues in a folder is 1MB).

If you are going to have 15000 issues a year I would suggest splitting issues into multiple folders in the long term - e.g. one folder per year or quarter, because sooner or later performance will definitely be affected. That makes sense especially if you mostly work with recent issues and older ones are only treated as archival ones.

Regards,
Michał