News

Second hotfix for WebIssues Server 0.8.3

The hotfix release 0.8.3-2 resolves a problem with the mysqli engine when a non-standard port number or socket path is used to connect to the MySQL database. The problem was reported yesterday on the WebIssues Forums. It doesn't affect configurations where another database engine is used or where MySQL uses the default port.

Note that when applying the hotfix to version 0.8.3 or 0.8.3-1, there is no need to update the database. Just unpack the package to an appropriate folder on the server. For new installations or when upgrading from older versions, follow the instructions in the manual.

WebIssues Client 0.9.2 (stable) released

After four months of development, three beta versions and one release candidate, the first stable version of the WebIssues Desktop Client is now officially released. The third stage of development is considered complete and in the nearest future there will be no new releases (except for bugfix releases if needed). But please keep posting ideas and suggestions, because I'm planning to return to developing WebIssues by the end of this year - the best is yet to come :).

The main new feature of this release is the so called 'folder watches' which allow to display summary information about total, new and modified issues matching given filter criteria is selected folders. In addition new and modified issues are marked with a colored dot icon. This makes tracking changes and collaboration significantly easier.

Other features are: importing and exporting client settings associated with a server, proxy support for Internet connections, new improved UI style on Windows (similar to Office 2003) and a lot of other visual and functional improvements. The program was more thoroughly tested and many bugs were fixed in order to reach the stable phase of development. In addition, Spanish, Russian and Polish translations were created - many thanks to the translators :). Finally, the project switched to qmake as build tool for simplicity and now supports MS Visual C++ on Windows.

Release Candidate of WebIssues Client 0.9.2

The WebIssues Client got a new improved UI style on Windows similar to Office 2003. It's based on the QtDotNet Style recently migrated from the Trolltech Labs. There are a few new screenshots demonstrating this new style. There are also some usability improvements in some areas (quick search box, find bar in the issue history) and the user's manual was updated.

Another important change was dropping CMake and switching entirely to qmake. This was possible thanks to the Trolltech's recent decision to add support for Visual Studio to the Qt/Windows Open Source edition. I think this is a very good move and it should encourage more open source developers to support Windows. I also created simple configuration scripts so that compilation should be easy under both Linux and Windows.

Third beta of WebIssues Client 0.9.2

This release introduces one new feature: proxy support for Internet connections. It should work with HTTP and SOCKS5 proxies with no authentication and username/password authentication. Please test it if you can and report any potential bugs and problems. In addition a number of important bug were fixed, some memory leaks were removed and a few minor usability issues were solved.

The number of recent bug fixes and improvements was so high that I decided to release one more beta version before the release candidate. My goal is to have a final 0.9.2 release by the end of the year and I'm going to focus mainly on testing and fixing bugs. In fact this beta release should already be much more stable than the 0.9.1 version :). Also thanks to everyone who volunteered to translate the application, I'll send you the translation files as soon as the RC version is ready; if anyone else would like to join, you're welcome.

Second beta of WebIssues Client 0.9.2

This release introduces mostly bugfixes and improvements related to the new folder watches functionality. It also fixes a bug which could lead to sending invalid requests to the server. Finally, I added support for the MS Visual C++ compiler which helps me to develop and debug the application more efficiently, since I'm forced to use Windows most of the time :).

The new installer for Windows was created using binaries compiled using Visual Studio. Even though the open source edition of Qt doesn't officially support it, there is a third party patch available (see this KDE TechBase article for more information) and it seems to work fine. Note that the installer will also install the required Visual C++ runtime libraries.

Since Monday I'm starting my holiday and I will be offline for two weeks. When I come back I'll start working on the release candidate which should be available in the beginning of October. I'm planning to add a Filter Manager window, update the manual and prepare for internationalization - please contact me if you would like to translate the program.

Syndicate content