Windows version

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2006-09-20

I really like this whole idea and this is well planned and all.
In fact, I like this program so much I would really like to use it with my work projects.
But the downside is that 90% of the people who are attached to these projects,
uses M$ Windows for certain reasons, and I really can't turn their heads to start using Linux..
it just isn't an option. =(

Is there any chance you could some day port this wonderful program to Windows too?

Keep up the good work!

Yes, after porting to KDE4 I'm planning to support Windows as well. And the KDE4 version will be available next year, after KDE4 is officially released.

Actually there is also a Windows port of the KDE3 libraries (see www.kdelibs.com/wiki) but unfortunately it's only available for commercial applications. That's because there is no free version of Qt3 for Windows and the free edition (see http://qtwin.sourceforge.net) is not supported.

When KDE4 is released a lot of KDE applications will be able to run under Windows and I think it's definitely worth porting them (especially that I'm also forced to use Windows at work :).

Regards,
Michał

Why not to make Java client applet or even AJAX page?

I anyone is willing to make such client, I see no problem :). The communication protocol is documented and I can provide additional information if needed. However I'm only going to develop the C++ client. And as I said, it will be cross platform as soon as its ported to KDE 4.

Regards,
Michał

To make this run on Windows, all we need to do is remove the KDE stuff and keep the Qt classes?

Correct ?

Well, if you remove the KDE stuff, there's not much left :). The "core" depends mainly on Qt, but the user interface depends on things like KXLMGUI, the upcoming release will use KHTML and KIO...

Let's just wait for KDE4 to become available on Windows. That gives me enough time to improve the application and bring it closer to production quality just when the time is right. Stripping off KDE dependencies, on the other hand, would be a big step backwards.

Regards,
Michał

Currently I'm using a local SVN repository, but I can create a project on sf.net and import the repository there. Please contact me via e-mail if you're interested.

Regards,
Michał