Features

Submitted by Jesus on 2010-08-08

Hey Michal,

Great job, I must say; I've used WebIssues for just over a day now, and My development team are already finding it VERY useful, and for that I thank you.

I've installed 1.0-Alpha1 just for testing, and have found a few issues I thought I'd report:
- In earlier threads, you've said that moving issues will be available in v1; I couldn't yet find this function (if it has been implemented that is).

- Speed -- The client speed is VERY slow, compared wtih server version/client version as 0.9.6/0.8.5 respectively; I've no idea why this is, but Okay.

- Issue Types -- I see you have implemented Issue Types and Attributes, Yet have assigned these to folders, and not issues... Is there a possibility for both perhaps.

Feature Requests -- I have looked at both versions, and have a few ideas that could make the applications very nice:
- Server Replication -- I find that i'm VERY security conscious and always like to keep working live backups of everything I use. It'd be a cool feature to have 2 webIssues servers running, with a dedicated server user (after setting the two up together of course), to set one as a master, and one as a slave, or both to replicate each other! This could be an AMAZING feature if you have the time to implement it?

- Deleting -- I find myself often needing to delete users and/or issues, yet Can't, I know you're looking into something similar to this for the stable release of V1, just wanted to make my request heard :D.

- User Dashboard -- With so many projects going on, My developers find it hard to project manage, and make effective use of their time. I have a few ideas you could possibly implement if they're not too much hassle...

1. "My Dashboard" -- A Tab next to "Projects" and "Dashboard" that lists all the current tasks that are assigned to you, with sorting / filtering options.

2. "Timelines" -- A Start/Stop button within a timelines feature, which could keep track of your time. For example, I start a task, So within that task, I click an "Initiate Time" button which either starts the timer from 00:00:00 or resumes it from the last time I stopped it. And when i click "Pause / Stop Timer" It would pause, or stop the timer, and save that to the database. (All Instances of time clocking of course being available as seperate logs on the "Issue History" tab within an issue). The issue should also have a "Total Time" Attribute somewhere, that the timer could be controlling, as for the summary view.

Loving the project, and we're soon looking to implement V1 into our Opensource CMS to enable people to collaborate a lot easier!

Thanks alot!

Hello,

Thanks for your valuable input. Here are some comments:

- Moving issues will be done in version 1.0-alpha3, i.e. in a few months; I first want to finish implementing some features which were already part of the stable release
- I didn't notice a big difference in speed. The server in version 0.8.x was a very simple script and now it's a full application so it may be slower indeed, but I don't see a reason for the client to be slow. I will obviously do some performance tests before the final release.
- All issues in a folder must have the same type and that's unlikely to change.
- Replication should be handled entirely on database level and you can do that with both MySQL and SQL Server. There's no need to handle that on server level.
- User dashboard and timelines are interesting ideas, I will add them to the roadmap and consider for the future versions of the program.

Regards,
Michał