Problems with client on Ubuntu 11.04

Submitted by rockfire on 2011-04-30

The client has some problems starting on the latest release of Ubuntu, related to the system tray icon.

When the default "Unity" mode is used, the client is not visible at all upon starting. The usual trick of adding the application to the panel whitelist fixes this :-

1) Run dconf-editor

2) Locate /desktop/unity/panel/systray-whitelist

3) Add 'webissues' to the list, so it looks something like :-

['webissues', 'JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray' ]

4) Reboot (logging out didnt seem to work for some reason)

You can then run webissues and force the connection dialog to display by clicking on the system tray icon (it doesn't seem to popup the connection dialog automatically like it does on other desktops).

To fix this proper support for appindicator is required. I have no idea what the implications are here for QT applications, or whether this is required for Kubuntu.

Personally, I don't use the system tray icon, and would rather not see at all. So the ability to disable the icon completely would work for me as well.

"Ubuntu Classic" mode works slightly better, but still has problems. The connection dialog will show upon running, but the system tray icon is not visible (although there appears to be space for it).

I'm using the standard Qt implementation of the tray icon so if there are any problems, they are most likely Qt bugs.

However it is possible to disable the tray icon completely using the WebIssues Settings option and it is even disabled by default.

Regards,
Michał

Ah, thanks. I can confirm disabling the system tray icon works too.

It seems there are problems in Unity mode *and* classic mode anyway, even with the "whitelist" added.

Looking closer, the icon is not actually invisible, it is just 1px by 1px. If you do manage to click on it, webissues appears.

A quick search turns up this :-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/767095

.. so as you say, the problem looks to be with QT/Unity anyway.