French term for «Issue» in beta2

Submitted by milliwatt on 2011-09-23

I was not surpised to see that the term «issue» had not been translated until version beta2
In French, there is no one to one translation, it is context related.
I feel the chosen French term «demande», which translates back to demand or request, is too specific.
In keeping with WebIssues goals of being a generic tool, I suggest the French term for «issue» should be more encompassing.
Something along the lines of:

1. «record ---> enregistrement»
  2. «data ---> donnée»
  3. «item ---> élément»

Item could be used directly
If I had a choice, I would go with Item

The English word "issue" is also quite specific. According to Wikipedia, the term "issue" is a unit of work to accomplish an improvement in a system. So it can be either a bug or a task, but it's also not as generic as "record" or "item". I'm not a linguist, of course, but I think that the French term is quite close translation. I had a similar problem with Polish translation, by the way, and I also chose something similar.

I could just change the English term "issue" to something more generic like "item", but the primary goal of WebIssues is being an issue tracking system, and being generic is just a feature :). So while I agree that it's not perfect, I'd stick to that.

Regards,
Michał

I do not intend to prolong this thread after this post.
True, the term «issue» has many meanings in English as well, all of which revolve around the notion something is problematic, about which there is a need to ponder; hopefully to arrive at a solution or a decision.

I am absolutely, positively certain one meaning it does not have is " a unit of work to accomplish an improvement in a system".

Proof that we must always be prudent with content from Wikipedia.