Toolbar and Menu

Submitted by mikael on 2011-11-07

Hi,
I like this software,
but the toolbar on beta3 feel very incomfortable for me,
all the button change depending on cursor focus, this way it's not possible, for example, to add an issue inside a folder when the folder is selected, we should click on the folder and give the focus to the issue listing to get the button, and then we can add the new issue.

could I switch to something more classical, with menu, greyed out item, and "classic" toolbar, like this screenshot of v0.9 :
webissues.mimec.org/node/154

thanks,
mik

In version 0.9 the available toolbar buttons and menu items also depend on the active panel, so this actually remained quite similar - only the layout is different.

Regards,
Michał

Allright, as you suspected, I dont have try 0.9, but this kind of classical layout for menu/toolbar seem quite interressant to keep, as an option ( classic/ribbon ).
I find that this kind of big ribbon button toolbar really clutter the interface.
Dont you think that a "fixed" menu could be usefull?
maybe a "fixed" menu & toolbar, and a second level toolbar that could be focus dependant.
Or the focus dependant toolbar could also be on top of the related windows, so we could have always everything accessible.
Maybe I can help to make the client software evolve in that direction.

Actually modern user interface is evolving in exactly the opposite direction. Instead of a huge fixed menu, which comes from textual UI, modern applications tend to have a contextual UI, where the available commands depend on the active element. It takes some time to get used to it, but it's really more productive than digging through menus (and advanced users will use keyboard shortcuts anyway). Of course it's also a matter of personal taste, and it's hard to satisfy everyone :).

Regards,
Michał