Damaged attached files

Submitted by milliwatt on 2012-01-18

I don't know when it happened because I did 2 operations in a very short time :
I moved websissues beta3 to another primary domain/account/server with the same provider
All seemed fine but I can't say if someone did open an existing attachment
then I upgraded to 1.0 but because I wanted to keep the beta3 install, I copied the sites/default folder from beta3 to the 1.0 structure and imported the beta3 database then I logged in as admin and generated a new server ID

All issues created before these procedures are ok but their attachments, pdf or doc, don't open with a message from Word or Acrobat that the file is either corrupted or damaged. All issues, and their attachments, created after are ok.

Is there a way to salvage?
What is the safe way to backup the sites/default folder?

The procedure that you described is correct. I don't know why attachments wouldn't work. What do those damaged files contain - are they empty, truncated, or have incorrect data?

Regards,
Michał

I have found when it happened and a possible «culprit»:
When I transfered webissues_b3 from one domain to the other,
I used FileZilla to download the hole Webissues directory to my pc (windows)
I know for sure the attachments were ok because before transferring, I printed 2 of them.
I did not compress the directory prior to download

then, I uploaded that directory to the new server

when I upgraded to version 1, I kept beta3 and all attachments on beta3 are corrupted: they seem to have the correct size

I have FIleZilla set for automatic transfer and maybe it has to do with binary vs ASCII.
In any case sorry for the bother.