Awesome App

Submitted by metropolis on 2009-08-17

I have been looking all over for a great team collaboration program that is open souce, easy to install and use, and has great customization. Webissues is the best I have found so far.

I just started my own web design company last year, and I plan on contributing to this project either by money, or programming (if I have time). I want to see you guys overtake any non-open source programs.

Keep up the good work guys, and I will keep helping you all out.

Thanks,

Metropolis

The greatest help at the moment would be to spread word about WebIssues. I will gladly see it overtake other programs, but for now it's not widely known, even in the open source world. Another very valuable thing is all sort of feedback from people who actually use this program and can tell what should be added and improved.

I'm also still looking for one or two skilled PHP developers and web designers to help me with the web client because I'm still doing most of the work on my own. The biggest problem is that there is a lot of work so I need someone with enough time. My time is also limited by the day job I need for living :)

Besides I'm starting to think about making profit from WebIssues itself, by providing paid support, hosting, etc., but it's rather a matter of future.

Regards,
Michał

One thing I was looking for in this program is automatic version tracking. It would be nice if the project sections all revolved around versions.

So for instance, when a project is initialized it would automatically add a section for features and the version that the program will be when those features are done. And a section for bugs along with the version the program will be when those bugs are done.

With the way that this works right now it is difficult to keep track of the version that your looking at for features or bugs, because it has to be done manually, which forces the developers to add in a new features section or a new bugs section every time a new version is being worked on.

I hope this makes sense.

Metropolis

On a side note, I am a PHP Web developer, and I would LOVE to help you on this program. However, I am working my day job, the web design company job, and I just had a baby girl a few months ago, so it kinda sucks.

I wish I did not need money, because then I could do what I wanted with my time instead of trying to survive :(. If I ever do get extra time though I will definitely give you a holla.

Metropolis

I understand that completely, family should have priority over everything else.

I found the problem with versions myself when trying to set up a WebIssues server for the WebIssues project. It has folders like "Server 0.8.x Bugs", "Server 0.8.x Features", "Server 1.0.x Bugs" etc. This only works good for major versions though. For minor versions I'm using a drop-down attribute and those can be filtered (so I can for example view bugs/features for the latest version only).

I know this is not perfect, but I'm reluctant to introduce a separate concept of "versions". Most bug tracking systems define versions, modules, and various other concept that perhaps make it easier to use for that particular task, but if you use the system for storing customer records or tasks for the IT department, they don't make sense. That's why I'm trying to keep WI as generic as possible.

Something that I'd like implemented in some future version is the idea of 'faceted navigation'. You could have one folder where you throw all your bugs and then you could dynamically filter them by version, module, priority, status, etc. It would be especially useful with attributes having a tree-like hierarchy of values.

Regards,
Michał

"It has folders like 'Server 0.8.x Bugs', 'Server 0.8.x Features', 'Server 1.0.x Bugs' etc. This only works good for major versions though."

Yeah thats exactly what I have been running into with it, which seems difficult to keep up with. Instead what I decided to do is add a version tag to all issues, and I just created 1 bugs folder and 1 features folder per a project. Then i can just sort the versions to see what the latest bugs and features are.

"but if you use the system for storing customer records or tasks for the IT department, they don't make sense. That's why I'm trying to keep WI as generic as possible."

I figured this is why you wanted to do it the way you did. I know if it needs to be flexible enough for all types of projects that adding versions by default would be hard. Maybe what could happen instead is that when you first create a project you can specify what type of project it is, and then the default setup comes along with that. So for instance, you could choose between generic, or software development. Just a thought, what do you think?

Metropolis

Yes, I suppose it's a good idea to have various types of projects. I added it to my todo list and I will think about it when the right time comes.

Regards,
Michał