My findings

Submitted by SabbeRubbish on 2010-01-12

Hi WI community,

I needed a bugtracking tool to get some of my issues at work done.
We have Jira for issue tracking, but I though I'd give WebIssues a try.

You could see this as a kind of review, albeit quite short.

The installation was quite straightforward with no issues. I did import the database tables manually as I though I should do that, which gave me the syntax error as {xxx} is not a valid table name. Fixed that quickly of course. The installation went very easy, good job there. (MySQL 5.1.41 on Apache 2.2 with PHP 5 on Windows XP SP3)

The client installation was just as easy. I tried the stand-alone (non-portable) install.

When using the program, I was happy to see different roles for logging in and different roles for working with projects and bugs, nice going! There is no workflow, which is a little downside.

Now for the main drawback (in my eyes) is the lack of categories up front when creating an issue.
Yes, you can create an issue quickly by just naming it. Due to the lack of workflow it's not assigned yet, but that doesn't bother me too much. The biggest drawback is the huge number of clicks I need to actually set all the details of an issue.
The issue severity for example should not be set using a "..." button and then a dialog box, but would rather be set using a visible Red, Yellow, Green radio button group or so.
Adding comments is also slightly cumbersome, a free text field at the bottom of the issue would be handy.
Another example: instead of using the time-consuming "..." button for the Resolution field, why not just provide a combo box directly on the form?

After the criticism I must add some praise too. The system's architecture looks quite sound by the looks of it. A standard three-tiered approach really gives it a professional look and feel and makes it pretty scalable. Of course, using PHP as your processing engine is not that scalable, but it serves its purpose well. It's also quite service-oriented which is a good way to go these days.
The availability of the client for different platforms is also a very big asset.

If you could make the user interface more user friendly and quick to navigate and maybe provide a .NET backend we could actually use this in our organisation.

And I must say that your choice for Drupal as CMS is truly great. I can only encourage its use as it is a very modular and user-friendly CMS.

So: cheers to the dev team, you've impressed me.

SabbeRubbish

Hello,

Thanks for your review and very useful comments.

I agree that the usability of the UI can be improved (and it's constantly being improved over the past few years). For example one of the ideas is to allow setting all values during the creation of the issue. Anyway I think it's still faster and easier to use than most web-based tools (although WebIssues will also have a web interface in version 1.0).

Regarding the backend, PHP is definitely not the best or fastest language ever created, but it can run practically everywhere and portability is the one of the main focuses of WebIssues. Besides if PHP is sufficient for Yahoo or Wikipedia then it's probably enough for WebIssues too :).

Regards,
Michał

I completely agree on PHP... .NET is just too robust.
Any date we will see new version(s)?