Recent protocol changes

Submitted by rockfire on 2012-01-29

Hi,

I am trying to get the Eclipse Mylyn Connector up and running with the latest version of the WebIssues server, but it is failing fairly early on a "GET DETAILS" call. The last version I had it running on was one of the 1.0 beta versions.

I can no longer find any protocol documentation on this site, so would it be possible for you to detail any protocol changes made recently?

Thanks,

Brett

EDIT: I have found the problem. I needed to add a zero on the end of the command to indicate I don't want to mark the issue as read.

I wonder if it is worth adding some protocol version negotiation (i.e. client sends protocol version) so the server can remain compatible with older clients, or at perhaps making the server a bit more lax about such syntax errors.

Admitedly this change occured in the first release candidate, so can I now assume protcol changes won't happen outside of alpha/beta versions?

Yes, there will be no backward incompatible changes in the stable versions. The server sends its version to the client (in response to the HELLO command) and it's generally the client's responsibility to adjust to server version. See this Wiki page for more info.

Regards,
Michał