Session expired at login to Webissues client

Submitted by Siebrand on 2021-06-29

I recently updated my Webissues server and client from version 1.1.5 to 2.0.2, on W10. In parallel I updated PHP on my local server from version 7.0.x to 8.0.7.
When starting Webissues I ran into an uncaught error, which pointed to the file '\system\core\request.inc.php', where in function 'initialize()' (starting at line 49), the PHP function 'get_magic_quotes_gpc()' is used. It appeares that this function has been removed from PHP as of version 8.0.0.
In 'request.inc.php' I modified the if-then-else, by removing the if part and retaining the else part, to eliminate this function call. This solved the problem for me, but I'm not sure this is the way to go.

I was then able to log in to Webissues client, but immediately got a 'Session Expired' message, requesting me to log in again.
Any suggestions where to look for a solution?

Yes, the get_magic_quotes_gcp() function is obsolete and can be removed, in PHP 5 and 7 it always returns false anyway.

I just tested WebIssues with PHP 8.0 and it worked fine, I didn't get any session expired errors, so perhaps it's something with your configuration. The session lifetime is stored in the settings table, the key is session_max_lifetime and the value is the number of seconds, maybe there is something wrong with that.

Regards,
Michał

I found the session_max_lifetime set to 7200, which does not explain the described behavior.

Through the following steps I was able to get the application up and running:
Uninstall the client;
Remove all files and folders from the folder in my document root with the php functions;
Drop the WebIssues database (which had been updated in my previous installation attempt);
Create a new database, and populate it with the data saved from the dropped database;
Install the WebIssues Client;
Copy all php functions to the document root of my apache server;
Make the modification to the request.inc.php function (as decsribed earlier);
Start the WebIssues server;
Configure the database (by following the procedure);
Coming from v1.1.5, an update of the database table(s) is performed automatically;
Start the web client;
It works!
 

I'm a happy man again. Thanks!
Siebrand